Tuesday 2 October 2012

2012, A Mach 2 fly-by


Where did this year go to?
New Years Eve was just the other day!
It’s October and there are Christmas decorations in the shops already!

These are but a few clichés that we have become so accustomed to every year. Yet, the constant question I ask myself is how do I handle such speed? Has 2012 flown by faster than previous years? It could be, but not as fast as the planes that I saw.

Two weeks ago, I was lucky to attend the Africa Aerospace & Defence Expo in Pretoria, widely known for the ‘jaw-dropping’ and breath-taking fly-by maneuvers by million dollar aircrafts. 

For me the major attraction of the airshow was South Africa’s very own Gripen. The Gripen is the most sophisticated aircraft in the military’s arsenal and is capable of speeds over 2 000km/h. incase you missed that, let me repeat it “… Speeds over 2 000km/h.”

The pilot, squadron name ‘Cpt. Hawk’ had a solo fly-by in which he showed how to handle such power, with ease and ‘playfulness’.

Later that day, I bumped into ‘Cpt. Hawk’. He was very down to earth and relaxed for a man who flies a Million dollar aircraft at Mach 2. The time spent talking to him left a huge impression on my life. As I share this, I hope, I will be able to create that same if not similar impression on you.

“Son, remember this: You never to young to start, never to old to learn and never to serious to enjoy.”
The Captain’s words raced through my mind as he explained where he was from: KwaZulu-Natal, The Zulu Kingdom. Currently he is one of the five qualified Gripen pilots in South Africa and the instructor for new recruits in the air force.

Cpt. Hawk spoke with such simplicity and humility. He joked and laughed just as you and I would. He spoke of how ex-girlfriends would never agree when a comment was made of how ‘Cool’ he was. Contrary to what I expected a soldier with wit and humor.


2012 may be, your Gripen or even mine, but (There is always a But) if Cpt. Hawk could treat it like a toy in the air yet still respect it and have such fun with it, what is stopping us from such greatness with 2012?

Remember “Greatness needs no introduction” – V.Moonsamy 

No comments:

Post a Comment