Monday 15 October 2012

LOL

Up until the beginning of this year, I had no idea what the acronym LOL meant. For some reason I always thought it stood for ‘lots of love’. It sought of clicked when I was texting a friend of mine. You see the message was about something hilarious and in response, she wrote ‘LOL’. Now being a backward person, I had to ask her why she decided to write lots of love after a joke.

Do you know that awkward moment when you turn red with embarrassment?

Yes, that was how I felt. ‘Laugh out loud’, who would of thought? Now if LOL is supposed to be a replacement for the old hahaha, why are people using it as a preposition, abbreviation, and my old time favourite the ‘friendship saver’? You can easily offend someone and pull out ‘LOL’ just to save the day. Nevertheless, apart from LOL replacing the good old full stop, it has actually become a word.

Let’s admit it we are abusing the word.

A normal conversation would go something like this.
“Hey?”
“Lol, how are you, I heard you got robbed last night, lol “
“Yeah I was robbed lol”

I mean it’s great for those lazy days when you just don’t want to chat much. However if LOL is going to start and end your sentences then surely you need invest in a thesaurus.

LOL!




No comments:

Post a Comment