Tuesday 2 October 2012

Where did the Holiday excitement go?



I could barely wait for the September mid break. As the days grew closer, it was as if I had a pocket full of tsetse flies biting me. I lost interest in lectures and that was a sure sign a mid-term break was long overdue. I almost failed my Group Dynamics mid-term thinking of ways to spend my break!

In my opinion, certain aspects of university are overrated; after all, our knowledge and effort gets us the degree. However, let me save that rant for another blog post. Caught up in planning how I would spend my breaks when the actual break came, I had nothing to do. I was stuck in bed, with no desire to even have a shower.

Literally, I wish there were no mid-term breaks to begin with. They make students lazy. I wasted my time watching fossil series. What ever happened to my plans for a week of junk food binging, catching up with friends or even reading ahead of class? I felt like the bed had taken over my life.  When the break arrived, it was another case of Boredom 101.

Then I thought Helderberg College should allow students to opt out of a mid-term break. If that were the case, I would be a College Graduate by now. I worked out that in this year alone the total weeks of a break together make up about 2months of our academic year. If I include the two months to my 3-year degree, I would have graduated in the first semester of 2012.

Put the precious mid-break to good use like vacation school, mass study in the gym, or extra courses. I say, let’s get up a petition to stop mid-term breaks.

That is the reason we have weekends.


No comments:

Post a Comment